Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Connecting two points


Laying on my parent's driveway over the weekend I feel connected. The warm heat rising from the constructed concrete ground, it feels strong and reliable. My eyes entranced in the dancing fingers of the trees, that play and flirt upon the wind. A canopy of protective arms embracing the sky, offering glints of sun and shade. I recall turning my head to stare at my little man and his twin cousin throwing pine cones at the bushes- whispering to one another in their own language full of wonder and inquisition. I follow their gaze up a tree to a taunting squirrel dropping pine cones above their heads. I turn my head back and close my eyes, feeling the earth spinning beneath me- picturing a vacuum pulling my thoughts, racing upwards to the sky, then to hover above me like a movie playing against the vast blue screen. A laugh, a breeze, brings me back-my eyelids fluttering against the soft light. I feel an awareness- a pull between me then, me now. I used to lay on this driveway all the time before boyfriends, before jobs, before a house and a marriage and before a child. I used to lay here when i was still a child- when it was just me and my dreams. Gosh, I would imagine so much- endless possibilities, like the endless sky. It felt good then, it feels good now. Neither better or comparable, two points in time- significant and whole.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

i love the images this post makes me think of.
your head full of daydreams...
you are such a sweet soul.
love you.
a

DawgNation1 said...

You have an awesome ability as a writer to not only paint a picture but also to keep you wondering. I can almost feel the breeze on my face and see the blueness of the sky reading this and at the same time, I wonder what you are thinking about. Good post. I need more. One day you will accomplish all that you have planned. It is fun knowing this. I love you and hope you continue on with your dreams.

J