Monday, March 26, 2007

Robber of hearts

I sat on the top, rough concrete step, feet submerged in the cool, fresh water, sunlight swimming in each direction. I watched you opposite of me walking around tossing objects of sorts into the deep blue end. Stopping at the ladder you wrapped little hands tightly around the rails, lifted your feet and jumped, plunging like the granite rocks we threw into the lake. Bigger hands were there to catch you as you came up wide-eyed with heavy breaths at the shock of your action. Feet running in air, then catching the ground, moving in racing speed toward me. I said slow down knowing instantly how pointless of a request it was -your excitement was far too overwhelming . You stopped a few feet away, madly wiping water from your eyes , arms wide open and a questioning smile begging for validation. I looked at you with your eye lashes clumped in points like stars. I smiled and said good job, you turned and skipped away with your contagious cackle trailing behind .

I felt my lips within my smile slowly lower, and I just stared after you with "mama" eyes, realizing then you were the little thief that stole my heart, replacing it instead with shameless awe.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

that brought tears to my eyes.
love
a