Monday, May 7, 2007

Just the two of us

J and I often babysit my nephew because my sister is a Sous chef and works A LOT. This past Sunday she wanted to return the favor, and this time we took her up on it. J suggested we drive down to the stadium, buy dollar tickets and enjoy a ballgame, just the two of us. We learned from taking C to other sporting events, that he would rather walk around the stadium at this age than actually sit in it. Minutes are still hours to him.

C happily obliged to spend the afternoon with his cousin anyway.

We started with a Sunday drive through the city, conversation light and flirty, resting my mind while watching cars maneuver steadily like the moving water of a creek: bends and straights.
When we got to the stadium we bought icy cold beers, a brat, an Italian sausage, and seats with a clear view to home plate-we felt good. The sky a sphere of piercing blue, tufts of white clouds dolloped like whip cream on blueberries, a bold contrast against the expanse of diamond cut grass. The temperature was hot, but when sitting above the trees I got a bird's eye view and understood why they soar on soft wind-it felt free and calm. I really need a trip to the mountains to camp and hike. Lately days have been colliding into one another until I feel dried of creativity and the alarm clock becomes a drone of tired reminders to rise and get through the day.

After the game on Sunday, J and I kept saying how much fun we had. We laughed the whole time, the game a side conversation to what we were there for- a block of time for rejuvenation, for laughter, for filling up on love and for not taking ourselves so seriously. I have to sometimes unwind my inner clock that ticks toward the strike of worry.

It was nice to not engulf my thoughts in anything but in the moment. J and I realize we need to take more of these moments, even in just the day to day. To just be happy.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

i am so happy for you both.
the days sounds wonderful.
your writing makes me really feel like i am there to experience the moment.
love
love
a